Saturday, December 1, 2012

Waiting and Waiting and Wading and Waiting

You've been there. The web page is going to be so cool! The flash player gives you the count up! It starts off great going from 1% to 18% to 31% to 63% to 92%. Then it goes to 93% to 94% to 94.1% to 94.14% to CRASH! You have said it! Admit it! “What kind of world are we living in when I cannot load Angry Birds?!” What is wrong with the world? THIS is what really cause the decline and fall of the Roman Empire! They had slow DSL connections for downloads and the barbarian hoards had 4G smartphones to coordinate their attacks leading to the Visigoths, who were dressed in black and had dyed their hair too, to sack Rome while singing the lyrics of The Cure!

Waiting for a page to load or a file to copy has really been getting on my nerves lately. Since switching from a smart phone to a dumb phone I find it rather annoying having to wait for my pages to load. And then there is my computer which has a death wish since it is always taking FOREVER to load anything that has this new features on web pages that are called jpegs. I actually had to blink before it loaded them! Yeah. It's that bad.

And don't even get my started on the Playstation 3 and it's spinning spiral of death that tells me it is loading the latest update to my system software. Then after waiting 39 seconds it reboots which takes 12 seconds. Doesn't it realize I need to play Borderlands 2 RIGHT NOW!!!! ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Hold on. I just remembered something. Once upon a time I had a Commodore64 that had an incredible 64K of RAM. Yes boys and girls. That was high tech when I was young and dinosaurs roamed freely on the plains...or at least in this game that I had where I road a triceratops chasing down mammals to stop the inevitable extinction of the terrible lizards. But that computer (yes it was really a computer even though my dumb phone is smarter that it was) took forever to load. It originally had a cassette tape drive. That is a drive that stored data on a cassette tape. If you played it in a tape player it sounded like a Satanic Symphony of Sad Sadistic Souls... or is that one of Marilyn Manson's songs. Anyway, it took forever to load a simple program. I had one file that took 13 minutes to load! It was less that 64K!

Now that I think about it I'm going to stop complaining about load times. They really aren't that bad. But what about when you are filling the gas tank and the little gizmo is broken so you have to hold the handle until the tank is full? THAT IS HELL ON EARTH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.