Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Unusual Fruit

Time and time again I have been asked where I get the ideas for my blogs. By time and time again I mean twice. But since you both asked I'll tell you. I have no clue. Sometimes I just sit down and look around the room and my ADD kicks in and all the sudden there is a blog post right in front of me. Then there are the times when I can sit a look at a blank screen for what seems like an eternity – but is more likely nineteen seconds – with nothing happening. Nineteen seconds is an eternity in my ADD world.

This one came from an unexpected source. I was sitting on the couch and channel surfing with nothing on all the cable channels out there and I found an Anthony Bourdain show about Brazil. He was checking out some really cool looking fruit. Then it came to me. I should take what he is doing and pass it off as an original idea. Perhaps telling you, dear reader, will both lower and raise my stock in your eyes. In my defense I couldn't remember any of the fruit he tried because I was busy writing that first paragraph. So lets look at some fruits that are really cool and unusual and some of them I might actually try.

There is a piece of fruit that I found when I Googled unusual fruit that I thought was a sea anemone. It looks like something I saw as a kid on Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea on Disney. The Rambutan is found in Southeast Asia and is used as a ninja weapon. It looks scary! Seriously! I think it was on the end of the Medieval morning stars to beat the crap out of peasants to make them bring out their dead. On the inside there is supposedly a white, meaty, sweety core that you eat. It is supposed to be good so the next time a ninja throws one at you catch it, have it surgically removed from your hand, and give it a try.

The next time you miss that left turn in Albuquerque and end up in Bangladesh (IT CAN HAPPEN!!!) you have to try some Jackfruit. It is one of the largest tree fruits in the world and looks like a green brain-type thing that would really brain you if it fell on you. I wonder what Jackfruit means in Bengali. I hope it is something better than fruit named by the guy named Jack.

Do you like fruits that look like eyeballs surrounded by a red bumpy skin? Sounds tasty doesn't it? Lychee is said to have a grape-like texture which makes it even more eyeball like. Have you ever been to those haunted houses where you put your hand in the bowl of eyes but it is really pealed grapes? Well I hope it was pealed grapes. Now that I think about it my brother had bought a bunch of grapes for his haunted house and I felt the “eyes”. Why did we still have all those grapes the next morning? Either those were real eyes or I ate grapes that lots of people had groped. I hope those were real eyes.

Imagine a plum. Now Imagine a piece of cotton. Now imagine the plum with something that looks like it had a bunch of cotton in the middle of it. That is what a mangosteen looks like. It is said that it is purple, creamy with a peach influence to it's flavor. I can't say that I have ever been influenced by a peach unless you count Debbie Hoover in middle school. She influenced me to sit by her on the bus and then kiss her behind the hay stack. She was a peach!

The last one I want to mention is a kumquat. It is just a type of orange with a funny name that I like. I hope you try some of these. No clue if they are any good. Let me know if they don't cause you diarrhea, hives, death, or turn you into a newt. If it is that newt thing let me know only if you get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.