Monday, December 3, 2012

The Barney Factor

There are many guilty pleasures that none of us want to admit we enjoy. There is Dexter which appeals to our sense of justice when the good guy serial killer go after the ones that get away with murder. There is the extra large Dairy Queen chocolate malt with whipped cream and two cherries that you savor in the same way that light savors the slow speed in which it travels. Then there wearing the boxer briefs filled with tapioca that I know everyone else does secretly but I am boldly standing before you today proclaiming that I like it! What do you mean no one else does that? Just me? I'm kidding. I don't do that often.

But there is one show that gives me a guilty pleasure like no other: How I Met Your Mother. It's OK. You can admit it too. There is the lonesome loser of Ted who never seems to find the woman of his dreams which is a good thing because had that happened in episode 2 it would have been a very short series since it is about how he met the kids' mother. There is also Robin who is always the pretty girl who can't seem to stick with one guy possibly due to her love of Canada, guns, and the fact that she has a right cross that has knocked guys out cold. Marshall and Lilly will always be the perfect couple who are trying to make things work in a world that surrounds them with challenges of couplehood, parenthood and lots of beer. And then there is Barney.

Barney Stinson, played amazingly well by Neil Patrick Harris, is one of the best men out there for guys who are single. He shows how to pick up women in every conceivable way. He has picked up women as Barak Obama, Jr., Neil Armstrong, the bassist of Cheap Trick and as a gay guy getting a lesbian. (The humor in that goes beyond the character to real life if you think about it.) But the real test remains to be seen. Could Barney pick up chicks dressed as a chicken? I would love to see that! What's that Barney? Challenge accepted? YES! I'm sure the jokes about chickens and laying eggs almost write themselves. Then we need to get him to try it while sky diving. I don't mean skinny skydiving which they have already discussed ad nauseum (that means til you want to puke) but picking up a woman while in free-fall without her cutting his parachute! That would be the ultimate rejection! Perhaps we need to see him picking up a supermodel while wearing hush puppies, a white shirt buttoned all the way to the top with a pocket protector and his hair Brill Creamed back like so many of us in high school looked...I mean so many of you. Not us. Ha ha ha ha.

Do you want to know what I like best about Barney. It is not the number of women he gets. It is not the suits although they are legen...wait-for-it...dary. It is the fact that he is the biggest cad out there. Yes I used the word cad and didn't refer to Hugh Grant! Gentleman pay attention. This is important! No matter how bad your opening line is you can salvage it by doing the following:
  1. Laugh at it.
  2. Say, “I'm sorry but I can't keep a straight face when I say that.”
  3. Point to a random table of guys and say, “They bet me I wouldn't use that line that we all saw on How I Met Your Mother by Barney. Isn't he the worst guy ever?”
  4. Think of everything Barney would do or say and do the opposite. Think of it the same way you think of child rearing and how your dad did things.

I honestly think that will really work well guys. Go out there and give it your best shot. He is an inspiration to us all as a means of what NEVER to do! And if by some miraculous stroke of unintended and accidental genius all this is right, let me know so I can try it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.