Sunday, December 9, 2012

Texts You Want Back

As much as I love to text I have found there is a dark side to texting. There are the obvious things that have been driven into the ground like texting while driving, texting while drunk, texting with the broken heart, ex texting and my personal favorite: texting your ex who broke your heart while driving drunk. It is time to move beyond the conceptual texting and move to the actual. That is a fancy way of saying we are going to talk about stupid things you have texted. The worst part is when you hit send and right in that split second you see some glaring error that you know will come back to bite you!

Some people are better at speaking. Others are more of the writers. Then there are those people who can't do either one but want to text well and they end up sounding as intelligent as George W. Bush in a crossword convention. How many times have you tried to do that and said something like: “Y r u so constipated w/him?” Frustrating, isn't it? Or perhaps you try to keep it simple but still are a little bit off: “What r u going?” What? Where? Why? You know you've done it!

One of my weaknesses comes to speeling splleing spelling. I thank God everyday for the computer geek who invent speel-checking spell-checking. Before I used a smartphone I had all kinds of issues with spelling in my txets texts. I have a subling sibling, who shall remain nameless but it sounds like Cathy but is not spelled like that, who loves to korrect correct my spelling errors when I text. Yes I know I can't spell. It is an issue with me. In addition to the international intentional spelling errors in this paragraph there have been countless erros errors that have been corrected that I didn't leave in. In a text you can't do that. They are gone and you just have to wait and see if someone (cough cough cough Kathy cough) catches it.

With the advent of smartphones we have a new kind of error. That autocorrect is such a frienemy. It fixes my misspellings but also fixes things I don't want fixed. There have been texts from my phone that have said things like: “high. Who air use going? Wii our give two a clue ladder. Dew yo went toe meat is their?” If you read it very carefully you may be able to detect that I was asking my buddy to go clubbing or I was inviting him to a mystery dinner theater. I'm honestly not sure after reading it. Do you see my point? If not then don't bother trying. My point is a bit of a mystery to me too.

Well now that I have had two blogs on texting in the past seven days I'll give it a rest for a while. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop texting. I think I will send that mysterious sibling a text with all kinds of glaring spelling errors just to bug her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.