Friday, March 11, 2011

Sitting in the Dark

Here I am spending the evening sitting in the dark. It is so quiet. It is so peaceful. It is so boring. Sometimes you just need to unplug and get away from it all. The silence is golden. Have you ever noticed that silence is not always … well... silent. There are tiny noises. The breathing and whimpers of my dog, Reo, in the other room who was chasing a rabbit in her sleep came to my ears. A creak and groan of either the poltergeist in the attic or the house settling make it through the fog of silence that had settled. Now there comes the sound of the breeze outside on tonight of all nights adding to the eerie atmosphere. We never have a breeze around here! Why tonight?

Determination sets in and I am committed to seeing this through. I do not need to turn on the lights. The dark is nothing but dark. There is no need to be frightened of the dark. Now the creepy, crawly critters who want to crunch on me that are in the dark may be a cause for concern! What was that? I will not turn on the light!! I’m a grown man and there is nothing to be… HOLY BLEEP! It’s got me!!! HEEEEELP!! Oh. Hi Reo. What are you doing over here? Thought you were sleeping in the laundry room. Yes, I’m glad to see you. Yes, I’ll let you outside to go to the bathroom. No. I'm fine. I don’t need to go anymore. Thanks for that!

Ok. Enough of the darkness. Time to light a candle for ambiance. The light flickering of the flame creates shadows dancing on the walls. And now the mind begins to … WHAT WAS THAT?! Ok Reo. That’s twice. Yes I’ll let you in but don’t scratch so loud next time. My heart can’t handle it! You are coming in here with me where I can see you! Why are you looking at me with a look of fear? I’m not going to hurt you. How can a dog have an expression that says, “Dude, why do you look like you’re in a slasher movie and can I please go hide under the bed?”

Ok. That’s it. Tomorrow I’m paying the electric bill. I don’t like it in the dark!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.