Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Facebook Facetime

How much time can you possibly waste on Facebook? That is an intriguing question asked by a friend of mine who claims that she has seen me online every time she has looked for the past 33 days. Now to be fair I did have to log off 9 days ago to reboot after my system updated against my will. I was right in the middle of fighting a dragon on Dragon Wars and it was not a pretty site. There was slashing and slaying while blood was flying everywhere as people were fleeing the scene of the battle to avoid the grunts, growls and groans from the misery surrounding the catastrophic carnage. But that is enough discussion about my reaction to the reboot. The game was pretty gruesome too!

It is amazing to me that people now have the ability to friend people that they have never even met, knew back in high school but never really liked back then, attended the same college at the same time but never met, or who live in the next room in your own home. There have been discussions in my house about things happening where our vocal chords never vocalized a single sound. There were a few times when my son and I were chatting about his mom when she was still living with us and was in fact in the same room but she never knew what we were doing for sure. It was like whispering without all the rudeness associated with her actually knowing we were talking about her. There have also been times when others have accused me of not giving them my total attention while chatting. A few have even made the wild and totally unfounded accusation that I was chatting with another person while chatting with them. Can you image how insulting that is? Only ONE other person? Come on! My record is 8 extreme exchanges or 13 tête-à-têtes with a joke-a-jovial attitude.

There is also the need to make sure you keep up with and track everyone’s Facebook status’. It is amazing how much you can find out about people. There are pictures and stories of getaways. Suddenly you may actually find yourself caring about who is in a relationship with whom even though you live a thousand miles away and have never even met them! You can discover what was eaten for lunch and what their most recent bowel movement was like. (I really wish I was making that that one up!) Through my powers of deduction I was able to explain to one friend why this male friend (not to be confused with boyfriend) she knew was not talking to her anymore. After careful analysis and extensive research I looked at his home page and saw that 23 minutes ago he posted that he was in a relationship. That explained that.

I know what you are thinking and no I am not addicted to Facebook. I can quit any time I want to. Fortunately that time does not seem like it will be coming any time soon! In the mean time I really need to get back to Backyard Monsters. Jimmy attacked me again and I need to go destroy his putty squisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.