Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Wave – Part Two

Have you ever considered waving back to a wave at the ocean? I tried it once. Did you know that life guards know the number for the padded ambulances near the beach? I didn’t, but I do now. “No you don’t need a butterfly net. I’ll go quietly.” By the way, those straitjackets are not nearly as comfortable as they look on TV. Instead of waving to the ocean I think you may want to enjoy the ocean waving to you.

There is nothing better than grabbing a boogie board and riding a nice big wave all the way up to shore as you cruise to a stop on the beach with a smile on your face that would look really cool if your suit was not filled up with sand that makes you look like you needed to change your suit due to an accidental movement of the bowels. It is also nice to be further out. Floating. Bobbing. Relaxing. Enjoying. Drowning when a wave goes over your head. The ocean is so fickle, isn’t she? Kind and cruel all at the same time. Sounds like some dates I went on in college. Now that I think of it, one of the girls I dated in college was named Atlantic. I never made that connection until now. Anyway… Those waves can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

Odd isn’t it how something that makes something more valuable is also the something that makes it more dangerous. Let’s look at the condos that are built right on the dunes at the beach. The waves make them very nice to be in. The waves also make them a nightmare when hurricane Maharshallahashbaz comes barreling in. I have always wondered about those buildings. Many of my sand castles have bitten the dust – or the wave – over the years. What are these high rises on the beach built on? There was a song we sang in Sunday school that says the foolish man built his house upon the sand. When the rains came down and the floods came up the house on the sand went smash! Why don’t these places fall over every time it rains?

Maybe I’m a pessimist. Perhaps I don’t understand modern construction techniques. It could be there is some dynamic property to sand that makes it a stable foundation for a 50 floor building that I am unaware of. I think I’m just smart enough to know not to build a building on sand next to water where hurricanes come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.