Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Wave – Part Three

“We’ve got spirit! Yes we do! We’ve got spirit how ‘bout you?!” Oh those football games as a teenager. We would taunt and tease and torment the other team’s tagalongs to the point we would be saying, “We’ve got more!! We’ve got more!!” Over and over and over again. So it may not have been great writing but what do you expect from a bunch of teenagers who didn’t even know how beer tasted. Honest mom. We didn’t!

As I got older and went to sporting events that had a stadium that actually went all the way around instead of some stands on one side and on the other side were bleachers with lots of splinters for the opposing teams fans that I had absolutely nothing to do with creating no matter what those security camera pictures make it look like I’m doing! When you have a sporting event in the round then things take on a whole new dynamic. You get to make the wave! Yes the wave! Around and around it goes and where it stops better not be in your sections because the other sections will boo you for letting the wave die and the peer pressure of 105,723 screaming fans can be a little intimidating. Basically what happens is that you have to stand up as a group and raise your hands and make some kind of noise. If this is done in sequence it looks like a wave of humanity going all the way around the stadium that creates a cool effect and makes it hard for you to carry on a conversation, eat your hot dog, enjoy you drink or watch the game. But it does look really cool.

There is a funny scene in the movie When Harry Met Sally where Bruno Kirby and Billy Crystal are talking about women and every so often they stand up, raise their arms, and continue their conversation as if nothing happened. That was a movie. It doesn’t happen in real life because you can’t hear a thing when the wave hits. It is like being under water with the rush of noise that takes your breath away.

Please don’t misunderstand. I will gladly cheer for my team. Homeruns and touchdowns will always be greeted by me with a smile or laugh. But I think I’ll stick to those venues where the stadium has the gap that makes it easy for a wave to die so I can enjoy my beer. I’m just funny that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.