Monday, February 17, 2014

Music Has Charms…Sometimes


As I write this blog post, I am listening to Nickelback. It’s making me think about what I would do if today was my last day. I think I’d blow off my diet and drink the largest chocolate malt I could find. Sadly, I think the song was trying to inspire something more than ice cream envy. As I have said in the past, I’m not that deep.

Aren’t there some songs that move you to action? The list of moving songs on my playlists ranges from arias to ZZ Top. With Mozart to metal, my taste in music is eclectic as my writing. In an effort to expand your horizons, it is my duty to share with you some of the songs that will make you think, wonder and go “Ah ha!” Mostly you will be thinking, wondering and going “ah ha” about what I put in my coffee. (Non-dairy creamer makes me loopy!)

“Dressed for Success” by Roxette: It was only after listening to it a couple decades later that I was able to detect the subtext within the lyrics. There is a line that talks about shaking thing up. That is obviously a reference to wearing funky socks with your charcoal gray Ermenegildo Zegna Suit. I’m thinking something with pink flamingos.

“Goodbye Says It All” by Blackhawk: The futurist meaning in this song was truly mind blowing! Can you imagine the shock when I realized the line about no shot at redemption was really about the demise of the flip-phone in favor of the smart phones? Since it was released in 1993 that makes it spooky-visionary since we still had clunky laptops back then. I don’t even want to imagine the back-masking hidden in “Postmarked Birmingham”.

“Round and Round” by RATT: It is really about sharing the merry-go-round with your classmates when the teacher yells at you for making it go by yourself even though you had all agreed to take turns to see who could get it going fastest by yourselves; but the teacher wouldn’t listen to logic and reason, thereby ruining a perfectly good experiment causing you to abandon the scientific method in the second grade to derail your plans at becoming a great scientist. (I may be reading a little more into that one than Steven Pearcy intended.)

“What Hurts the Most” by Rascal Flatts: It’s about stepping on Leggos in the middle of the night.

These insights are startling and alarming. Please do not be concerned. It will be okay. We still have Weird Al to keep us focused on the important things like… ummm… I’ll have to get back to you on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.