Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Running From President

Gore Vidal once said: "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from every doing so." Why would anyone want that job? There is high pressure. Constant criticism. One party or the other is going to hate you all the time and then your own political party will hate you half the time. But I really believe we need a good person in the office of the president. Even times when I have not liked the person serving there I have enjoyed the humor they give us by being themselves. Here are a few things to consider as we face an election year.

  • ''Now I even let down my key core constituency: movie stars. Just the other day, Matt Damon -- I love Matt Damon, love the guy -- Matt Damon said he was disappointed in my performance. Well Matt, I just saw the Adjustment Bureau so right back at you buddy.'' - Barak Obama  
That had to hurt!

  • ''These stories about my intellectual capacity really get under my skin. You know, for a while I even thought my staff believed it. There on my schedule first thing every morning it said, 'Intelligence Briefing.'' - George W. Bush  
I wonder if it helped any?

  • ''Being president is like running a cemetery: you've got a lot of people under you and nobody's listening.'' - Bill Clinton  
Am I the only one who appreciates the person under him who wasn't listening is now Secretary of State?

  • ''For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks.'' - George H. W. Bush  
Does the sex count under the triumphs or mistakes?

Sure! He could remember that but the Contras were over for tea and he couldn't remember their names.

How about “Twist and Shout” as he fell over the trombone player?

  • ''If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: 'President Can't Swim.''' - Lyndon Johnson 
Or if he did swim it would say: “President Caught Breastroking.”

  • ''You know nothing for sure...except the fact that you know nothing for sure.'' - John F. Kennedy 
Surely not.

I hope you have found these great presidential proposals perfectly pleasing. It was fun making fun of them.

1 comment:

  1. Timely and wise. You are too cool for school Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.