Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Far Away Focus

You may find this hard to believe but there are times when I find it difficult to focus. With a blog entitled Random Thought from a Random Mind surely you would never have guessed that. It is sad but true. My mind has the tendency to wander down dark alleys, airport runways, racquetball courts, mountain trails, and the occasional jelly fishing fighting league while leaving my body on the couch. It has come back every time but it can be gone for hours without leaving a note.

In college I went into the library once to see what all the hullabaloo was about with this whole "studying" thing people kept talking about. I sat down to read from my text book when I noticed something. It was really quiet in there. It was an unnatural quiet. It was eerie the way people would sit there and not move around or look around or make any noise while looking at books and taking notes. It was just wrong! No one should do that when there are more important things like Frisbee golf and tater tots to consider. 

Another time I had to sit there and take this test for my insurance license. (Yes I have an insurance license! You don't have to be so shocked!) We had to wear sound dampening headphones that made it so that you couldn't hear anything other than your heart beating in your ears! That was one of the worst experiences of my life. I passed the test without a problem. It was the silence that was deafening. They tried to MAKE me focus. Well there was not going to be any of that! While taking the test I also read the warning signs about cheating on the walls, watched the reflection of proctor pacing behind me, and wrote a song in my head called, "A Toe Truck for My Toes." It had a catchy tune and everything. 


Now please don't think I am totally incapable of focusing. If the situation calls for it there is something those of us with A.D.D. do called hyperfocusing. We get so focused in on one thing that we are unaware of people talking to us, fire alarms, or the occasional foreign invasion. Fortunately I do not have to do that very often. But when I do it I totally block out everything else in favor of what I am doing and have been known to stop everything else very abruptly. Is that a new crack in the wall that needs my attention?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.