Monday, May 9, 2011

Working Weakly

 
It is always amazing how many things there are to learn when you start a new job. The questions are many. What are the rules? Who are the leaders? When can you talk? Where do they keep the highlighters? Can I have a paperclip? Is this more like the Office or Office Space? Will my boss have pointy hair? Will that button really send the reactor into meltdown?

My first week on the job was like drinking from a fire hose. Granted I was thirsty. But I don’t think I was quite that thirsty! Now that I have been there a while I get to see other people being treated to the dousing with dilemma of the deluge of discovery. Just today I told someone, “Don’t worry. It seems like drinking from a fire hose. But it gets better.” The look in her eyes was one of both fear and relief. I’m not sure if she was relieved that it gets better or afraid that she might actually become like us. Either way I feel like I did my community service for the week.

Then there are times when the work load seems like it will burden you to the point of breaking. The difference between a yoke and a yokel is the difference between lightening and lightening bugs. How much will you give for the paycheck? There are times when I will give all the hours I posses and then there are other times when I will give what is needed and give the other time to my boys. No regrets there.

Work is something that we do to live. But one of the mistakes I have made in the past is confusing what I do to live to what my life is. I love my job. It is challenging and can be very lucrative for acquiring the luxuries I like. But there are some things that money can’t buy. Loyalty can only be bought with loyalty. Money can rent loyalty but it can be bought with something more but less tangible. Love can be paid for but cannot be bought in its real form. Then there is the family that cannot be bought or sold but can be helped or hindered with the price of money.

Love what you do. If you do not love your job then get a new one. It is not worth your time to work every week and work weakly at it. I know it sounds trite but it is right. Life is too short to not love what you do whether it is work or play. But love what and who makes you the real you and you will find that you will like you better and may just even love who you have become.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.