Sunday, January 2, 2011

An Attitude Adjustment

There are those days when we just need to get an attitude adjustment. I remember one time I was in the mall for some unknown reason that may have part of a governmental brain washing technique. As I was walking I couldn’t help but overhear a conversation between these two kids who were walking along. I mean I really had to walk fast to keep up with them so I could accidentally overhear them. One turned to the other and said, “Dude! Tude!”

The rhyming was impressive. The meaning behind this poetry was truly challenging to discern. After a great deal of careful analysis and many nanoseconds of contemplation I came upon the meaning behind these words. The translation is: “My friend. Our comradry and  fun-filled times have been compromised by a certain way of behavior that will continue to drive a wedge between us until it leads to an end of our companionship unless serious changes are made in your attitude.” I think “Dude! Tude!” says it a lot better.

I think that someone needed to walk up to me and say: “Dude! Tude!” My attitude for the past year and a half has – and I use this word in its kindest meaning – sucked. There have been days when I have hated God, the world, my ex, Howard Stern and butterscotch pudding. I know what you’re thinking: How can he mention Stern and pudding in the same sentence? It takes talent and a twisted mind.

But there is something to be said for letting it go. Now I can stop being mad at God, the world and butterscotch pudding. The ex and Howard Stern may take some more time if it ever happens. But it was time to stop being such a major jerk and let go of my anger. That was one of my New Year’s resolutions. Stop being so angry all the time. The only person it was really hurting was me. When I woke up yesterday it seemed like something had changed. I know that there is still a lot of work to do on my damaged psyche; however, I do feel good about myself for a change.

My attitude is better for now. I hope it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.