Monday, June 16, 2014

An Interview with an Angel

Having just recovered from my impromptu meeting with Tone, I had just set down to work on my new book, Reunion, when I looked up and my heart almost stopped. There was this thing in my kitchen. It was golden and shiny, bright and sparkling, beautiful and breathtaking. It had a cup of coffee and sat down beside me. My first thought was, “Great. First Tone, now Zeke. How am I supposed to get any work done with figments of my imagination interrupting all the time?” Then I realized that they are not interruptions as much as storylines. Since my hold on reality is somewhat tenuous on any given day, I decided to go with this.

Doug: Hey, Zeke. Do you mind toning it down a bit? My sunglasses are out in the car.
Zeke:  How did you know it was me?
(He took on his human look. I really wish I had those eyes. The babes would love that.)
Zeke:  Thanks. I like to think they are my best feature.
Doug: Huh?
Zeke:  My eyes. You were just wishing your eyes looked like mine.
Doug: Uh, yeah. I didn’t say anything.
Zeke:  Uh, angel. You don’t have to. I know what you’re thinking. Plus, I am in your head anyway.
Doug: Oh yeah. I forgot. So what brings you here today?
Zeke:  Just checking on you. I know you are under a lot of stress right now and was making sure you are staying on track.
Doug: Uh huh. Right. You just want to make sure New Fallen is ready.
Zeke:  Well, I was mildly concerned about your well-being, too. If something happens to you, it could put a damper on my lifestyle.
Doug: What lifestyle? You’re an angel. You don’t even have a life!
Zeke:  Fair point. Okay, my spirit-style. I like what you are planning for Arino and me in New Fallen. It is way outside the box for the angelolgy you created.
Doug: Angelogy? The study of angels? I like to think of it as Angel-mythology. A whole new way of thinking about angels from my twisted little mind.
Zeke:  Call it what you like, it works for me. Now, let’s talk about this whole bad-boy-angel thing you have in mind for me. How much of a bad boy do I get to be?
Doug: Well, the book is done except for my final read-thru. You push the limits in New Fallen and will go even farther in Demonize.
Zeke:  Demonize? Is that the next one? Not sure I like that title.
Doug: Like it or not, that’s what I’m calling it. Don’t worry. You are not the demonizer.
Zeke:  Is that even a word?
Doug: It is now. I’m a writer. I make up words all the time. Anyway, I’ve got you playing close to the edge. You like?
Zeke:  I like. Now, what about a love scene between Arino and me?
Doug: I already have your spirits merging. What more do you want?
Zeke:  Well, there was that hot tub thing that Tone mentioned…
Doug: That was a joke.
Zeke:  Was it?
Doug: Yes. It was Tone making a joke.
(Zeke’s eyes glowed golden at this point.)
Zeke:  Was it?
Doug: I’ll see what I can do in Demonize. Is that good enough?
(His eyes returned to hazel.)
Zeke:  For now. So when are you starting on Demonize?
Doug: Not you, too! Tone has already been here harassing me about it. I’ll write a prologue today. Okay?
Zeke:  For now. I’ll be watching. Don’t take too long getting to it. I am, after all, the bad-boy of the angels.
Doug: Noted. Can I get back to work now?
Zeke:  Well, there is one more thing.
Doug: What now?
Zeke:  You really need to take better care of yourself. We had a meeting.
Doug: Who had a meeting?
Zeke:  Well, let’s see. Arino, Tone and I were there from The Spiritscape Chronicles. Then, Abby, Jonas, and Seneca were there from your Chilton/Lange series. I even met Keira from the Storytellers’ Guild.
Doug: Wait a second. I haven’t even told people about Seneca or Keira. What were they doing there? And, why wasn’t I invited? I made all of you.
Zeke:  Don’t get all high and mighty with me, Mr. I-Created-All-Of-You. We just want you to get some more exercise and take care of yourself. You do that and we will keep talking to you. If you don’t…
Doug: Then you will go on strike and not talk to me and I’ll get writer’s block. Blah, blah, blah.
Zeke:  Blah, blah, blah is all you’ll be writing if we won’t talk to you.
Doug: Okay. Okay. I’ll get more exercise. Anything else?
Zeke:  Now, about your diet?


I made a loud groan which caused my son to check on me. I told him it was something I wrote. He just shook his head, walking away. I didn’t want to scare him with the truth that an angel had just stopped by for coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Feel free to make a comment. I love feedback about things that make you laugh or things that you think are so stupid you can't believe you wasted the five minutes it took to read it! If you feel like clicking on an ad, that won't bother me either.